City Planner – Community Development
City of Walhalla
Salary: $50,000 +/- DOQ
Closing Date: 09/01/2023
Coordinates and implements the activities of the Community Development Department to ensure the proper enforcement and administration of the City Zoning and Building Standards, Ordinances, the development, administration and implementation of the City’s Comprehensive Plan and related administrative, supervisory and technical duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains overall responsibility for determining development and zoning compliance in the City of Walhalla; reviews and determines approvals and disapprovals of zoning compliance. Ensures
that equitable enforcement of the zoning and development ordinances is carried out, and that legal guidelines and proper procedures are followed by City personnel.
- Serves as Zoning Administrator; Processes zoning applications and appeals.
- Supervises the City’s building official or contractor. Administers the issuance of building permits.
- Reviews and approves/denies plats, plans, permits and signs.
- Assists Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Council, Main Street Walhalla,committees and community organizations. Attends meetings and makes presentations as requested.
- Coordinates development and zoning approval with other departments, specifically Utilities, Fire Marshal, Main Street Walhalla and Public Works.
- Administers and coordinates updates of the Comprehensive Plan, including mandatory elements.
- Responsible for subdivision regulations and for administering the flood damage prevention ordinance.
- Generates, compiles and maintains demographic and statistical data related to both long- and short-range planning needs of the City.
- Oversees the maintenance of permanent records of zoning maps and text amendments, variances, special exceptions, appeals, rezonings, public service uses, etc.
- Analyzes zoning ordinances and makes recommendations for improvement as appropriate.
- Prepares reports and display materials descriptive of department research and recommendations.
- Receives and responds to public inquiries/complaints regarding building, planning and zoning issues.
- Receives, reviews, prepares and/or submits various records and reports including plats, site plans, signs, drawings, business licenses, building and sign permits, photographs, purchase orders, zoning applications, new business checklists, memos, correspondence, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals, such as the City Administrator, City Council, Planning Commission, Board of Appeals, co-workers, City department heads and employees, attorneys, engineers, architects, realtors, developers, property managers, consultants, elected officials, business and industry leaders, citizen groups and the general public.
- Partners with Main Street Walhalla to provide marketing, economic development, community event coordination and other quality of life services for the City.
- Assists in the application for and management of grants.
- Serves as or assists the code enforcement officer to ensure compliance with city ordinances such as property maintenance, ATAX, HTAX and zoning.
- Assist the City Administrator in special event coordination and special projects.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Business, Public Administration, Economics or related field.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in the Planning field.
- AICP or AICP-Candidate certification or the ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire.
- Other combinations of related education, training and experience that provides the needed skills to successfully perform this job will be considered.
- Must possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
- Preferred Education & Experience:
- Masters preferred.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS software preferred.
Contact: Celia Myers, email@example.com