Salary: $73,644 – $121,513
Closing Date: Until Filled
The purpose of the Planning Director is to plan, direct, and oversee comprehensive planning, subdivision administration, zoning administration and related operations and to direct and manage assigned staff for Greenville County, the largest jurisdiction in South Carolina. More specifically, the Planning Director oversees four county departments (Long-Range Planning, Transportation Planning, Subdivision Administration, and Zoning Administration), provides oversight to the regional MPO, and manages multiple county boards and commissions.
Examples of typical work performed by the Planning Director:
· Oversees, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals.
· Directs the activities of personnel through subordinate supervisors: prioritizes and assigns work activities in order to meet department objectives; oversees employee work schedules to ensure adequate coverage and control; ensures subordinates have the proper resources needed to complete the assigned work; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; and consults with assigned staff to assist with complex/problem situations and provide technical expertise.
· Develops and implements long- and short-term plans, goals, and objectives for department: researches, assesses and develops strategies to meet current and future issues and concerns regarding County comprehensive planning, community growth and development, and land use, subdivision administration and zoning administration needs; and identifies and implements needed changes, modifications and/or enhancements.
· Develops, implements, and updates policies and procedures for department: formulates and develops work methods and practices, policies, standard operating procedures, and training programs; monitors implementation of rules and regulations; and updates and revises policies and procedures as required.
· Develops, defends, and implements department budget: determines budget allocations for staffing, equipment and capital improvements; monitors expenditures and revenues to ensure compliance with approved budget; and maintains related documentation.
· Directs department activities, such as corridor studies, neighborhood studies, and special projects as assigned, rezonings, processing of zoning requests, variances, special use requests, and appeals, updating and rewriting zoning ordinances, etc.: develops, updates, and facilitates creation and maintenance of Comprehensive Plan; oversees and directs consultants, including creation of Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposal, selecting consultant teams, and monitoring related contract fulfillment and service delivery; participates in and provides advice to related regional committees, such as Greenville-Pickens Transportation Policy Committee (GPATS); and directs and participates in public outreach and communication activities.
· Serves as staff member and liaison to Planning Commission and Planning and Development Committee: coordinates meetings; reviews agendas; attends meetings; provides information, direction, and technical advice regarding planning and zoning issues and concerns; develops, reviews, and presents related reports and recommendations; conducts special workshops and training; and represents the Planning Commission at various meetings and functions as needed.
· Advises County administrators and County Council regarding department activities, programs, operational issues, training, and initiatives: and prepares and presents staff reports and recommendations and progress and activity reports to County administrators and elected officials.
Master’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, or related field required; supplemented by five years of experience in regional or urban comprehensive planning, zoning and code enforcement and compliance, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Special License(s) or Certification(s) Required: Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license. Must possess and maintain certification from American Institute of Certified Planners.
How to Apply: Visit https://greenvillecounty.org/HumanResources/Jobs.aspx