Salary Range: $59,563
Lexington County, South Carolina
Job Description Summary
Provides supervisory, planning, technical, and administrative work in the Development Division of the Community Development Department. Supervises the implementation of the zoning, landscape and subdivision ordinances. Coordinates staff in the day to day operations of interpreting, implementing, and enforcing the zoning, landscape and subdivision ordinances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Bachelor’s Degree, Relevant Experience in Community Planning/Development, and/or AICP Certified Planner preferred.
- Supervises and instructs employees in the Development Division of the Community Development Department on assignments, customer inquiries, and complaints. Includes conducting performance evaluations, recommending disciplinary actions and promotions, and responding to personnel issues.
- Responds to inquiries from the Community Development Director, County Administration, County Council and the public regarding zoning, landscape and subdivision regulations, including interpretation of those ordinances.
- Prepares ordinances and text amendments for the zoning, landscaping, and subdivision ordinances; plans for the long term ramifications of any ordinance changes. Reviews and oversees the items submitted to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission and County Council. Prepares for Development “Ad Hoc” meetings; coordinates, facilitates, and conducts special purpose “ad hoc” committee meetings; compiles results; reports to Council and Planning Commission; amends ordinances as approved by Council.
- Oversees and supervises work associated with new developments submitted to the department; remains abreast of plans received and timelines for reviews and approvals; prepares monthly reports; coordinates interdepartmental efforts on plan approvals.
- Prepares budgetary items for the Development Division.
- Represents the Development Division on in-house, local and regional committees related to codes enforcement, regional transit, land development, and planning; organizes and/or facilitates meetings related to the same issues.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications:
- Subdivision plat review;
- Zoning and landscape plan review;
- Budgetary principles and practices;
- Microsoft Office Suite;
- Local government budgets;
- Applicable state and federal regulations;
- Planning and development principles and practices;
- Ordinance development processes and state statutes which govern zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Utilizing BluePrince project tracking software;
- Identifying inefficiencies and opportunities for improvement;
- Problem solving;
- Developing Excel spreadsheets;
- Communicating effectively through verbal and written communications;
- Explaining complex ordinances;
- Managing diverse personnel;
- Conveying ideas in a clear and concise manner;
- Providing customer service;
- Managing multiple projects at once while meeting deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree, with 3 to 5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
|Applicants are encouraged to apply on the County website at www.lex-co.sc.gov and reference Job Posting #000810.|