Planning & Zoning Official
Town of Chapin
Closing Date: Until filled
Under limited supervision working with the Town of Chapin, administers and enforces ordinances and related codes, principally the Town’s Zoning Ordinance and subdivision regulations, and administers the long-range planning programs related to development and implementation of land use and related municipal plans and policies, including the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.
Essential Job Functions
- Administers, interprets, and enforces the zoning ordinance, subdivision regulations, and other local ordinances as necessary.
- Reviews and approves all construction, sign and demolition permits for zoning compliance. Reviews and approves various design applications, home occupation requests for zoning compliance.
- Approves subdivision plats, boundary line adjustments, and other land development.
- Prepares and presents revisions of related town ordinances, including zoning amendments and map changes, as well as, provides technical input into formulation of related policies.
- Confers with local authorities, civic leaders, social scientists, and land planning and development specialists to devise and recommend arrangements of land and physical facilities for residential, commercial, industrial, and community uses.
- Recommends governmental measures affecting land use, transportation, public utilities, community facilities, and housing to control and guide community development and renewal.
- In cooperation with the Central Midlands Council of Governments staff and the Town Administrator, coordinates Town planning programs and performs routine and complex assignments in a wide variety of planning work, such as the preparation of project outlines, selection of data sources, and detailing of plans for reports of capital improvements, elements of the comprehensive plan, major zoning changes, neighborhood centers and community development projects.
- Interprets ordinances and evaluates proposals to ensure compliance with applicable codes. Approves boundary line adjustments and coordinated the review of land development proposals for compliance with the land development regulations.
- Attends professional development workshops and conferences to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field of municipal planning and codes enforcement.
- Prepares, organizes, schedules, and moderates pre-construction meetings for commercial development projects. Monitors assigned development applications through approval. Prepares reports and related data as required.
- On-site inspections of all new construction for commercial and residential projects to ensure zoning compliance, as well as, on-site inspections on all properties for zoning compliance and complaints.
- Gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports, and recommendation; coordinates zoning and building activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
- Prepares notices, zoning reports and supporting data, including recommendations on various zoning proposals to appropriate Boards, Commissions, Supervision and Town Council.
- Provides staff support and technical assistance to Town Administrator, Zoning Board of Appeals, Architectural Review Board and Planning Commission as well as Town personnel and Town Council.
- Responds to local citizen inquiries about zoning regulations and ordinances and other city codes. Resolves complex and sensitive citizen and customer service issues.
- Submits reports of development activities and maintains records and documents of customer service issues and regulations.
- Coordinates long-range planning and assists in grant preparation.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as personal computer, 10-key calculator, telephone, copy machine, fax machine, tape recorder, motor vehicle, electric eraser, tape measure, measuring wheel, etc. and a variety of computer software such as the Microsoft suite, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop and ESRI ArchGIS and related software.
Additional Job Functions
- Patrols the Town looking for zoning violations and enforces municipal ordinances.
- Serves on Town committees as assigned.
- Assists with other duties within the department, as assigned by the Town Administrator and the Mayor.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Training and Experience
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in land use planning, urban planning, public administration, building science, landscape architecture, or a closely related field with three years of experience in zoning administration, building code enforcement, municipal planning or in a closely related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must have a valid South Carolina driver’s license, or the ability to obtain one by start of employment.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and references to Planning & Zoning Official Search, P.O. Box 183, Chapin, SC 29036-0183 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants can view full job description and apply online at www.chapinsc.com/jobs.
Contact: Shannon Bowers, email@example.com