City of Columbia
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position performs routine to moderately complex clerical work in processing and issuing zoning permits, providing courteous and professional customer service at all times, and performing related duties as assigned. The incumbent works within a general outline of work to be performed, and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
– Answers the telephone; provides accurate information to callers and/or forwards calls to appropriate personnel; takes messages as needed; greets and assists office visitors;
– Takes initiative to problem solve and find answers to questions from the public and staff;
– Provides clerical support to the Board of Zoning Appeals; to include the preparation of meeting agendas and packets, typing correspondence, preparing legal advertisements, taking meeting minutes, as requested, etc.;
– Assists customers in applying for permits; explains permitting procedures, and reviews submitted information for accuracy and completeness; may perform initial analysis of zoning cases and prepare drafts of staff comments and recommendations for Board review;
– Processes and issues zoning permits;
– Reviews commercial and residential projects;
– Enters permit information into the computer software and completes necessary paperwork; maintains permit records and files;
– Performs routine clerical work, including but not limited to typing reports and correspondence, copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, entering and retrieving computer data, processing daily mail, ordering office supplies, etc.;
– Receives and responds to public / customer inquiries, requests for assistance and complaints regarding department policies and procedures;
– Attends training, meetings, seminars and/or workshops to enhance job knowledge and skills; and
– Performs other related duties as assigned.
– High school diploma or GED;
– Three (3) years of relevant prior experience;
– Valid South Carolina Class “D” Driver’s License;
– Skill in the use of Microsoft Office and Adobe.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Knowledge of basic zoning, planning, surveying, real estate, and development terminology;
– Knowledge of addition and subtraction, multiplication and division and/or calculating ratios, rates and percent;
– Ability to summarize, tabulate or format data or information in accordance with a prescribed schema or plan to facilitate the identification and extraction of useful information;
– Ability to serve others such as customers, attending to their requests and exchanging information with them;
– Ability to handle or use machines, tools or equipment requiring brief instruction or experience, such as computers for data entry, fax machines, copiers, telephones or similar equipment; may service office machines, including adding paper and changing toner;
– Ability to perform semi-skilled work involving set procedures and rules but with frequent problems;
– Ability to read routine sentences, instructions, regulations, procedures or work orders; writing routine sentences and completing routine job forms and incident reports; speaking routine sentences using proper grammar;
– Ability to perform clerical, manual or technical tasks requiring a wide range of procedures and requiring intensive understanding of a restricted field or complete familiarity with the functions of a unit or small division of an operating agency; requires normal attention with short periods of concentration for accurate results or occasional exposure to unusual pressure; and
– Ability to guide others, requiring frequent decisions affecting co-workers and others who depend on the service or product; works in a somewhat fluid environment with rules and procedures but with many variations from the routine.