Planner- Zoning Administration
County of Greenville
Closing Date: January 14, 2022
Job Summary Under general supervision, ensures all types of applications coming into the County’s Department of Zoning Administration are complete and accurate. Must be able to read plans and planning-related documents, ownership documents, preliminary plans, final plats, and have an innate curiosity to dig for information and ask pertinent questions. Must be able to provide superior customer service, including specific direction for missing submittal elements, and be able to prioritize and handle multiple active projects at once. Ability to interpret information quickly and accurately is important.
- Exercises good customer service techniques, such as listening, asking pertinent questions, effective communication and problem solving with a wide variety of customers, from elected officials to the public.
- Manages a wide variety of applications that come into the County, so the ability to handle multiple projects at one time is required. Must be able to work relatively independently but notify supervisors of controversial issues as they may arise.
- Manages public notice requirements for applicable projects in accordance with State regulations. May be responsible for uploading cases onto County website for public access; timeliness is critical. Other outreach or procedural duties may be assigned.
- Assists other Staff in preparing staff reports as required, including but not limited to: outlining case history and background information for rezoning and BZA cases; preparing case graphics and rezoning/BZA reports; participating in developing other types of material for public and internal use.
- Reviews site plans and subdivision plans of developments and related documents as required, all with varying hard deadlines.
- Interacts with other departments (GIS, Land Development, Permitting, Roads and Bridges, etc.) to assure accurate and timely dissemination of information for cases.
- Participates in a variety of meetings and in varying capacity, serving as a professional representative of the County. Will be responsible for creating accurate meeting notes on project status and needed submittal elements.
- Interacts with members of the public, land developers, County and municipal officials, board and council members, superiors, and others in community planning-related areas, as required.
- Operates a variety of automated office machines and computer software.
- Performs other duties as required, including managing the customer desk on a regular rotation. ·
- Ensures safe work methods are followed to prevent injuries.
Minimum Qualifications Must possess a Master’s degree in planning, geography, political science, or related field; or a Bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field; or three years’ experience in city/regional planning or zoning; or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Interested applicants should visit https://www.greenvillecounty.org/HumanResources/Jobs.aspx to apply and for more information about the County of Greenville.