Urban Design Planner
City of Columbia, SC
Closing Date: Until Filled
This senior planner position performs professional urban design work in short- and long-range planning programs for the City of Columbia; coordinates the design review process; provides staff support to the Design and Development Review Commission and contributes to City plans, policies at the long range planning and site specific project levels. This position also works with interdisciplinary team on a variety of complex land use, transportation, and design projects.
More specifically, the position:
• Meets and coordinates design projects with architects, developers, property owners and others; interprets design ordinances and design review guidelines and procedures;
• Contributes to urban design expertise; provides education and assistance to other disciplines within the City and community;
• Acts as a spokesperson to the importance of quality urban space;
• Plans and implements the designation of new design districts based on complex architectural survey information, citizen input and political considerations; prepares associated architectural guidelines;
• Researches, gathers, interprets and prepares data for planning studies, reports and recommendations; prepares a variety of studies, briefs and reports for decision-making and presentation purposes;
• Works to fulfill our Mayor’s mission to create in Columbia the most talented, educated and entrepreneurial city in America.
• Bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or closely related field;
• Three (3) years of relevant prior experience;
• Required to type 30 corrected wpm;
• American Institute of Certified Planners preferred;
• Valid South Carolina Class “D” Driver’s License