Columbus-Phenix City MPO (C-PCMPO)
Salary: $41,769.30 Annually
Closing Date: August 23, 2021
General Job Description
The Columbus-Phenix City MPO (C-PCMPO), seeks a Transportation Planner to join our full-time staff in Columbus, Georgia. Housed within the Consolidated Government of Columbus the C-PCMPO serves the transportation needs of counties in both Georgia and Alabama. This position offers the opportunity to work on transportation issues such as the development of alternative transportation needs, intermodal programs, and infrastructure improvement. This position also offers the opportunity to live in one of the most diverse communities in the south that offers, recreational amenities such as whitewater; entertainment, art and restaurant venues; plus a wealth of history and outdoor venues to enjoy.
We are looking for someone who possesses a broad range of planning experiences along with excellent public speaking, research and community engagement skills. Specific skills include:
- Collecting, compiling, and analyzing socio-economic data and statistics for use in technical studies or reports.
- Updating comprehensive short-term and long-range plans
- Conducting studies to assess site impact and forecast traveling trends
- Help develop the Transportation Improvement Program for scheduled infrastructure improvement of streets, highways, bikeways, walkways, public transportation, and airport development;
- Apply for and administers associated state and federal grants.
- Perform travel time studies in the maintenance of the Congestion Management Plan.
- Maintain and update census and demographic information.
- Act as the Bicycle Program Manager for the city in the coordination of all related bicycle activities for the community
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Transportation, Public Administration, Geography, or a related field is required.
- A Master’s Degree in one of these fields with one to two years of progressively responsible related experience, or any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job would be great.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of socio-economic forecasting and analysis.
- Experience of the principles and practices of transportation modeling.
- Comprehension of the geography of the city and other local areas.
- Knowledge of the tools and methods associated with the Geographic Information System. Knowledge of accepted planning practices and procedures.
- Skill in problem-solving and decision-making. Skill in operating standard office equipment. Skill in oral and written communication.
What We Offer:
- Low-cost Medical Insurance
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- PERK Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Plan
- Free and Discounted Services
- Employee Assistance Program
How To Apply
If you’re interested in working for a great MPO, you may apply by going to columbusga.gov/hr and look for the Transportation Planner G17 announcement. Here you will find more information about this position, including the salary range. Applications will be accepted until 5 pm Eastern Time on August 23. Interviews may be conducted through remote video interviews with select candidates in August, followed by in person interviews. An expected start date will be in September.