Town of Mount Pleasant
Director of Planning, Land Use, and Neighborhoods
The Director of Planning, Land Use, and Neighborhoods plans, organizes, directs, and oversees the activities and programs of the Town’s Department of Planning, Land Use, and Neighborhoods including community development efforts, policy development, long-range planning, zoning, subdivision, site plan, and building plan review and inspection, and enforcement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as a technical advisor to the Town Council, appointed officials, citizen committees, and Town administration on issues pertaining to land use planning, growth management, neighborhood protection and improvement, zoning, historic preservation, annexation, and other similar functions related to community development and livability.
- Prepares and maintains long-range policy plans, zoning ordinances, land use regulations, and site design and architectural guidelines.
- Presents amendments to plans and regulations for Planning Commission and Town Council consideration to ensure accurate and relevant documents.
- Coordinates with other Town departments, outside agencies, developers, contractors, citizens, and other stakeholders involved in the planning, zoning and community development processes.
- Ensures the enforcement of the Zoning Code and related chapters of the Town Code of Ordinances.
- Oversees staff responsible for the development and implementation of policies and initiatives that promote and enhance neighborhood and community livability.
- Ensures collection and compilation of data for technical reports; engages in data analysis related to population, housing, and other growth and development information and trends to address problems & issues in the community. Conducts studies and prepares and presents reports to inform decision makers, advisory committee members, and the general public.
- Develops and administers the department’s operating budget.
- Ensures the operational efficiency of the department to meet workload requirements; initiates process changes and improved technology to better conduct departmental responsibilities.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Serves as a spokesperson of the Town for planning, zoning, and neighborhood and community development matters.
- Works closely with the department’s leadership team to establish work plans, operational objectives, expectations of staff, and administration of all Town policies in keeping with management directives.
- Performs assignments related to community outreach and public education, including special presentations to civic groups and other interest groups.
- Supervises the preparation of grant applications and final grant reports.
- Participates in recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, and mentoring staff within the department.
- Responds to natural disasters and other emergencies; supervises related department activities in support of organizational efforts.
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Geography, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or a related field and ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in developing and implementing community development plans, zoning enforcement, and plans review and evaluation, to include supervisory experience; or combination of education and experience.
Review Town Benefits at www.tompsc.com
The Town of Mount Pleasant is an Equal Opportunity Employer