Town of Surfside Beach
Salary: $42,949 – $60,987
Closing Date: Until filled
Under general supervision; performs a variety of clerical and technical tasks associated with the permit application and plan review process in order to ensure effective and efficient office operations. Performs a variety of other clerical duties, reviews zoning and flood transmittals for accuracy and provides assistance to department director, coworkers and the general public as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs various customer service functions in a courteous manner by telephone and in person; provides information and assistance related to department services, activities, procedures, fees, forms or other issues; responds to questions/complaints, researches problems, and initiates problem resolution.
- Processes all permit applications and enters all permit applications data into department software; review application for accuracy/completeness; assist in obtaining PIN number; verifies state license; accepts construction plans and plan documents, surveys, specifications, and other federal, state and local authorizations required to initiate the applications review process for large and small projects.
- Reviews and approves all documentation required for flood-prone properties are obtained when required and placed in the construction file.
- Coordinates, distributes, and tracks the review process of large and small permit application projects by interacting with the various town departments, developers, architects, engineers, contractors and applicants.
- Contacts, schedules, and issues approved permits face-to-face with the permit applicant; processes the review and issuance of daily walk-ins, non-plan review applications on a daily basis. Prepares file for certificate of occupancies and certificate of completion verifying all required documents have been obtained prior to inspections; maintains daily logs of inspections, permits, certificate of occupancies and certification of completions; prepares reports as needed.
- Prepares and distributes the required inspection documents and plans to the applicant; instructs the applicant on various aspects of the inspection process and responsibilities to ensure an efficient completion of the process.
- Prepares and maintains the permit inspection file with all required documents and plans for distribution to the inspection staff; collates and distributes permit file information to appropriate staff and the general public when required such as flood elevations, subcontractor’s rooster and reprints, etc.
- Verifies, updates, and maintains all contractor, architect and engineer licenses data in the permit software program; works directly with the SC Labor and Licensing Board to identify proper State licensing and bonding requirements prior to issuance of a permit.
- Process inspection requests; receives various requests and complaints via phone from contractors, owners and the public; enters requests and a complaints into computer program; schedules inspections in regards to building trades, zoning, tree removal, and various complaint inspections.
- Maintain file system of various files/records; prepares files, organizes documents, and files documents in a designated order, retrieves/replaces files as needed or requested; scans records for long-term future research, shreds/destroys confidential or obsolete documents; conducts records maintenance activities in compliance with guidelines governing record retention.
- Assist E911 Addressing Coordinator with updates to property data files in the permit software program with new and/or corrections to addressing, parcel numbers, and ownership information.
- Maintains and runs the monthly construction data and permits issues reports for the United States Census Bureau, McGraw Hill, and Building Statistics reports.
- Prepares and maintains records monthly for various agencies.
- Researches records for homeowners, contractors, or town officials as needed.
Flood related required duties:
- Issue permits for development in the floodplain and enforce the requirements of the town’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, verifying all information is obtained and correct before issuance.
- Explain floodplain development requirements to community leaders, citizens, and the general public when requested.
- Maintain records and documents that keep the community eligible to participate in FEMA’s NFIP and Community Rating System (CRS).
- Maintain community floodplain management files, the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) files, the town’s floodplain management program documents, building permits, variances, and elevation certificates(with original signature and seal).
Zoning related required duties:
- Accepts and reviews zoning permit applications. Determines compliance with the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance and completeness of the application.
- Attends Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals meetings, as needed, to report on zoning issues and advise on issues related to zoning administration. Evening meetings can be expected.
- Conducts technical reviews and makes staff reports to the Board of Zoning Appeals on specific project proposals such as, but not limited to variances, and appeals.
- Assists the general public, applicants, developers, and their representatives with zoning inquiries, proposals, and applications.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School diploma or GED; Associates degree preferred in business or related studies, with a minimum of four (4) years experience in customer service, permit processing, zoning and flood damage prevention or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.
- Must possess or be able to obtain the International Code Council certification as Permit Technician and Zoning Inspector within one (1) year of employment and maintain valid certification.
- Must possess or be able to obtain the Certified Floodplain Managers Certification from the Association of Certified Floodplain Managers within two (2) years of employment and maintain valid certification.
- Must possess exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Computer skills including current Microsoft Office Suite, Excel and department-related software.
- Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license
- Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
To Apply: https://www.surfsidebeach.org/Jobs.aspx
Contact: Sabrina Adair, email@example.com