Salary: $64,115 – $81,747
Closing Date: Until filled
The successful candidate will be a versatile planner/manager with strong interpersonal skills and the technical ability to support and enhance the overall efforts of the zoning/development division’s work program.
In addition to management experience, the qualified candidate must have considerable practical experience with zoning, sign regulations, landscaping requirements, architectural design standards and other aspects of zoning and land development, including technical review committees. The position requires knowledge in the practices and principals of Urban Planning, as well as current trends, regulations, standards and laws related to zoning and land development. Excellent communication, presentation skills and strong writing skills are required.
- Oversees daily tasks of staff involved in zoning and development application intake, review of subdivision plats, development plans, and other site plans, issuance of zoning and sign permits, and participates in said activities as workload or project type requires. Understands, interprets, and administers regulations;
- Understands the role of all County departments, the State, and other agencies in the land development process and maintains good relationships with those involved;
- Oversees coordination of plan approvals from other agencies, such as the storm water runoff/grading and road design approvals from County Engineering, water and sewer infrastructure approvals from the appropriate provider, any approvals needed through the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, addresses and street names from GIS, etc.;
- Recognizes and resolves issues with plats and site plans, as necessary, with legal staff, Register of Deeds, Assessor’s Office, etc.;
- Oversees preparation of materials, such as staff reports, packets, and PowerPoint presentations, for planning commission and board of zoning appeals monthly meetings, keeps associated deadlines and oversees follow-up correspondence after meetings;
- Prepares for and presides over the Technical Advisory Committee on a regular basis;
- Monitors the effectiveness of zoning and land development regulations and other ordinances along with related policies and procedures and proposes amendments to ordinances and procedures as needed;
- Supervises assigned staff, including but not limited to managing day-to-day activities, training and development, ensuring quality customer service, evaluating staff performance;
- Oversees preparation of Land Use and Zoning compliance letters and FOIA requests;
- Receives questions/complaints from public regarding land use/zoning issues;
- Maintains files and records pertaining to enforcement program, prepares evidence and testifies in court, if necessary, works in cooperation with Environmental Enforcement Department on citations for same;
- Researches planning/land use-related issues, gathers and analyzes data, compiles information, and prepares reports, including maps and graphics, presenting such work, as necessary, to the Planning Staff, Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and others;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Education and Experience
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, landscape architecture, or related field is required with considerable experience in administering zoning and land development regulations and experience managing and training subordinate staff.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree and membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners is preferred with considerable experience with ArcGIS, Excel, Access, Word and Power Point, spreadsheets, and EnerGov, including considerable experience managing and training and supervision of subordinate staff.
To Apply: Visit the County’s website: https://www.spartanburgcounty.org/168/Human-Resources
Contact: Sandi Eisele, email@example.com