Opening Date: October 31, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled, First review of applications will be 11/22/19
Salary: $53,000 – $60,000
Overview of the Senior Planner Role
Performs highly skilled, professional, administrative, and supervisory work in the Planning and Development Services Department pertaining to land use and zoning. Provides a broad scope of planning services for the City. Administers specified planning activities, performs studies, presents staff reports and supervises other staff in such endeavors as needed. Provides staff oversight and administrative assistance to various boards and commissions. Enforces the City zoning and development ordinances.
– Manages the day-to-day operations of zoning administration and enforcement, including supervising other staff assigned to related tasks.
– Provides technical assistance to the general public and other governmental agencies on planning, land use, nuisance, and related matters.
– Assists property owners and others in completing various forms and applications.
– Coordinates and maintains close working relationships with multiple city departments, county and state agencies and private entities.
– Works closely with Stanly County Central Permitting to process and approve interagency development coordination forms and final certificates of occupancy.
– Researches, coordinates, prepares and presents amendments to city land use and development ordinances at the request of the Planning Director.
– Researches, coordinates and prepares grant proposals for various planning and development programs and projects administered by the City; maintains files and data.
– Serves as administrator and/or secretary to the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and other boards and commissions as assigned.
– Performs research as necessary to gather and analyze statistical narrative data in preparation for the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and City Council and appears before such Boards as needed.
– Visits subdivisions and/or tracts of land under consideration of rezoning, variance, conditional use permits, etc., to determine applicability of various city ordinances.
– Administers and enforces the City watershed ordinance.
– Leads in the coordination of updates to and creation of long-range planning projects and documents such as the City’s Land Use Plan and various associated elements.
– Leads responsibility for special projects of a sensitive and comprehensive nature, and/or responsibility to direct a major complex planning project.
– Investigates zoning violations and/or nuisance complaints such as weeded lots, junk cars, sign violations, etc., and takes appropriate action to alleviate the violation.
– Takes an active role in the review of site plans, subdivisions and other development plans, ensuring compliance with City zoning ordinances and state statutes.
– Serves on other boards, panels and groups as deemed necessary by the Planning Director.
– Performs other related duties as required.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning or related field and a minimum of 3 years work experience in city planning, local government or other similar position providing the candidate with a background in land use, zoning, long range planning and code enforcement is required.
– Candidates with 5 years or more of relevant experience, additional supervisory experience and/or a Master’s Degree in Planning or related fields are preferred.
– Candidates with 1-2 years of experience in a supervisory role are preferred
– Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
– Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and/or NC Association of Zoning Officials (CZO), or the ability to obtain such certification soon after hiring, is preferred.
To view job posting, please click here.