Opening Date: May 28, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary Range: Hiring range is $40,000-$60,000 (depending on qualifications) and excellent benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Expected to advance the department’s mission through zoning administration, commercial development coordination, permitting, development review, comprehensive planning, transportation planning, analysis, research, reporting and presentations.
- Supports all City and County Councils, Boards and Commissions. Must possess a strong ability to write, think creatively, analyze, and to offer alternative viewpoints and opinions.
- Managing all MPO responsibilities; performing various related transportation planning activities including performing all traffic studies, preparing traffic improvement plans, preparing annual transportation elements for Sumter Urban Area Transpiration Study (SUATS) plan, coordinating SUATS meetings, preparing quarterly reports; and coordination with FHWA and SCDOT entities.
- This position anticipates a split workload at 50% transportation & MPO management and 50% land use planning.
- Must possess a strong ability to write, think creatively, analyze, and to offer alternative viewpoints and opinions. Must be customer service oriented.
- Planner supports City and County Councils, Boards and Commissions, and reports to the Planning Director.
Desirable Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning or related field along with three years of demonstrated local government land use experience or equivalent.
- A Master’s degree in Planning or related field and at least five years of experience with demonstrated local government land use planning project management is preferred.
Qualified applicants please mail resume with cover letter and application from www.sumtersc.gov to: City of Sumter, Human Resources, 21 North Main Street, Sumter, SC 29150. The City of Sumter is an EOE.