Opening Date: July 2, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
Job Description: Responsible for advanced level professional work in urban planning and urban design. Provides technical support and assistance to the Director in the development and implementation of the City’s comprehensive plan and zoning ordinance. Oversee the review and processing of land use and development applications. Prepare and present staff reports to city boards and commissions. Supervise and manage the work of other planning staff and interns.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares and updates as needed the Comprehensive Plan and other planning studies, including but not limited to neighborhood and district plans and sustainability plans; serve as project manager for major activities and special project related to city long-range and sustainability planning efforts.
- Coordinates with other divisions and departments, as well as other governmental entities, organizations, and stakeholders’ groups on planning projects as needed.
- Oversees requests/proposals for zoning text amendments, zoning map amendments, land development, subdivision plats and regulation amendments.
- Provides consultation on issues/requests relating to the City’s long-range planning goals and objectives, projects, and the comprehensive plan.
- Summarizes information from maps, graphs, reports, field studies, etc.; prepares statistical reports, tabulations, computations, graph and charts to illustrate long-range planning studies, census information, and special projects.
- Oversees the enforcement of zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Researches planning topics, local ordinances, and state statutes.
- Performs spatial analyses using GIS.
- Develops and revises applicable city codes, policies, procedures and projects as assigned.
- Prepares packet materials for related city boards and commissions and City Council, including memos, reports, maps and other information as needed.
- Attends Planning Commission and Zoning Boards of Appeals meetings and, as needed, architectural review boards, and City Council meetings, as directed by the Director.
- Coordinates engagement and participation of the public and various stakeholder and neighborhood groups for planning projects.
- Makes presentations to various governmental bodies and citizens committees and groups.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Master’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning with a minimum of two (2) years of progressive related experience, or a master’s degree in a comparable field with a minimum of four (4) years of related experience. An appropriate combination of related education and work experience may be considered; or
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, urban design, landscape architecture, public administration, geography, community development, sustainability, or related field and a minimum of six (6) years of progressive related experience.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred, or the ability to acquire certification.
- Some supervisory experience and knowledge of transportation, environmental, and community development planning.
- Must possess or obtain within sixty (60) days of employment a valid SC driver license
- Thorough knowledge of Federal and State laws, statutes and ordinances governing planning, zoning building and subdivision development.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of planning and development, zoning, urban design, and sustainability.
- Skills in interpreting and explaining ordinances and specific criteria, to include legal descriptions of land.
- Skills in preparing and presenting written and oral reports and documents, to include operating various professional equipment.
- Skills in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint; Skills in using graphic design, desktop publishing, database, and/or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software programs preferred.
- Ability to research and collect data and perform accurate calculations, to perform sound, analytical analyses, and to make well-reasoned recommendations.
- Time and multi-project management; high level of customer service; collaborative and effective working relationships with others; and strong work ethic.
To view complete application please click here. Resumes and cover letters are welcome.