Salary: $51,842 – $76,803 (Classification G138)
Closing Date: August 19, 2021
General Job Description:
Located on the coast of South Carolina with a temperate climate, abundant recreational opportunities, and a growing population (with an estimated 354,000 residents and expectations of an additional 275,000 by the year 2040), Horry County is seeking a Senior Planner to assist within the development review division of its fast-paced Planning & Zoning Department.
The Senior Planner for development review will be under the supervision of the Principal Planner and responsible for conducting technical reviews of development plans, in addition to other current planning activities including, but not limited to, preparation of technical reports, assisting with research and drafting technical language for revisions to zoning and development regulations, conducting studies related to development trends, and leading other special projects. This position may also work with various boards, commissions and community groups as needed.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have considerable work experience with development review;
- Possess a thorough understanding of the end to end development process: site selection process, construction sequencing, applicable state and/or national permits etc.;
- Previously utilized zoning laws and land development regulations in their day to day work activities;
- Be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, community groups, government officials and development professionals;
- Feel comfortable working in a fast paced environment while balancing competing priorities to meet internal and external deadlines;
- Have the ability to work within an interdisciplinary team, as well as independently with minimal supervision; and
- Knowledge of basis construction issues, processes and terminology.
A Master’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning or a related field, such as Architecture, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Natural Resource Management, or Environmental Science, with a minimum of one to two years of progressive experience OR a Bachelor’s Degree in one of the previously mentioned fields and five years of planning experience. Development review experience is necessary in order to perform the duties of the position. Additional experience can include: construction project review, surveying, or civil design, etc. Experience with ArcGIS, and Adobe are strongly preferred. Candidates must be able to pass required pre-employment physical and background check.
How To Apply
Horry County Human Resources accepts on-line applications only. Please visit our website at Http://Www.Horrycounty.Org/Employment.Aspx to complete an application. All applications /resumes must be submitted on-line by 5:00 PM on the deadline date for filing.
Horry County is “Family Friendly Gold Certified.”
Horry County Government Does Not Discriminate On The Basis Of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, National Origin, Age Or Disability.