Closing Date: October 31, 2019
Salary: Annual, full-time equivalent salary range starts at a minimum of $60,000.
Position Opening: Regional Planner or Senior Regional Planner
Catawba Regional Council of Governments (COG) is seeking an experienced planner who is looking for an opportunity to take his or her career to the next level. If you have considerable experience with municipal, county, or state governments or in the private sector serving these jurisdictions and want to leverage your technical knowledge, writing, analytical, and presentation skills, commitment to life-long learning, and desire for improving the communities that make up the Catawba region, then our agency may be your next work home.
As Regional Planner or Senior Regional Planner you will have the opportunity to take the lead on planning projects that positively impact the economic, physical, and social well-being of the region. The candidate must demonstrate experience and proficiency in development and execution of planning products such as small area plans, transportation and land use analysis, comprehensive plans, policy recommendations, and federal and state grant-funded projects that garner broad stakeholder and public support. Strong GIS, data analysis, statistical and forecast analytics, communication, social media tools/use, and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role. You must be able provide professional and timely feedback to a variety of audiences.
The ideal candidate will also have experience in the development of scopes of work, contracting processes, project management, public engagement, management of consultant teams, review of invoices and reports, in the implementation of planning studies consistent with federal, state, and local requirements.
Minimum qualifications of the successful candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Geographic Information Systems, or closely related field.
- Five (5) years’ experience in urban or regional planning, monitoring and reporting at the local or state level of government.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Conducts research, prepares and presents reports that clearly communicate technical analyses and make the case for policy and other recommendations, as appropriate.
- Utilizes geographic information systems (GIS), computer modeling and other technical tools, and works as part of GIS team.
- Knowledge of land use and transportation planning, policies, regulations, and best management practices.
- Plans, develops and executes work programs for projects that have a high level of impact.
- Works constructively in teams.
- Ability to effectively use ArcGIS, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), and various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Willingness/ability to attend evening and before or after hours meetings of planning commissions, city and county councils, and other public groups.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Geographic Information Systems, Business/Information Systems, or closely related field.
- Experience in analytics, forecasting, population and employment projection development.
- Eight (8) years’ experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring and reporting at the local or state level of government.
- Experience serving as a project manager for a variety work products including small area plans and comprehensive plans, with an emphasis on, GIS, effective public engagement and using social media.
- Ability to effectively use Sketch-Up and Adobe Creative Suite.
Compensation and benefits:
Catawba Regional COG offers an excellent work environment and competitive employee benefits package that includes participation in the South Carolina retirement and health benefit system, matching 401(K) program, and flexible work schedule. Compensation is competitive and contingent upon qualifications and experience. Annual, full-time equivalent salary range starts at a minimum of $60,000.
About the employer:
Catawba Regional Council of Governments was formed in 1971 to foster regional collaboration and cooperation and to provide planning, grant writing and administration, transportation, and community and economic development assistance to 26 local governments in upper South Carolina. The organization is mission driven, balancing high community impacts with fiscal responsibility. Historic return on member-government investment is $50:$1. The CED team is currently managing ~$20 million in direct project grant funding. The Council’s offices are located in the heart of downtown Rock Hill, SC a 2019 All-America City with direct access to I-77 and the rest of the greater Charlotte bi-state area. Candidates may learn more at www.catawbacog.org.
Please submit resumes with a cover letter by October 31, 2019.
Candidate materials may be submitted online (PDF only) to KRice@catawbacog.org or via U.S. mail to:
Catawba Regional Council of Governments
P.O. Box 450
Rock Hill, SC 29731
Attn: Kathy Rice
Catawba Regional Council of Governments is an Equal Opportunity Employer.