Principal Planner – Urban Design
City of Columbia, SC
This position performs professional and supervisory work in short- and long-range planning programs for the City of Columbia; coordinates the design review process; provides staff support to the Design and Development Review Commission; Contributes to City plans, policies, and at the long range planning and site specific projects. This position also works with an interdisciplinary team on a variety of complex land use, transportation, and design projects.
More specifically, the position:
• Meets and coordinates design projects with architects, developers, property owners and others; interprets design ordinances and design review guidelines and procedures;
• Contributes to urban design expertise at all levels; provides education and assistance to other disciplines within the City and community;
• Acts as a spokesperson to the importance of quality urban space;
• Plans and implements the designation of new design districts based on complex architectural survey information, citizen input, and political considerations; prepares associated architectural and urban design guidelines;
• Researches, gathers, interprets and prepares data for planning studies, reports and recommendations; prepares a variety of studies, briefs and reports for decision-making and presentation purposes;
• Works to fulfill our Mayor’s mission to create in Columbia the most talented, educated and entrepreneurial city in America.