Planning & Development Director
City of Winder, GA
Salary: $80,000-$95,000 (DOQ)
About the Position:
The City of Winder Planning Department is tasked with the responsibility of administering the City of Winder’s Zoning and Development Regulations. The department maintains a zoning map of all zoning categories within the city, and answers all zoning and development questions from developers, the general public and other government employees.
The Planning and Development Director will be required to function with a high degree of independence, utilize sound professional judgement, and demonstrate planning and organizational skills to establish and manage priorities, programs, and staff. The Planning and Development Director shall be committed to the mission, vision, and values of the City and demonstrate ethical conduct, community stewardship, individual initiative, and responsive service. This position is responsible for all city planning and development services and activities, including land development, comprehensive long and short term planning, and recommends and administers planning activities, ordinance development, policies, and procedures. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Provides information to the public regarding zoning and land use regulations, permitting processes,site requirements, subdivision platting, and other development requirements/processes.
• Explains planning and permitting processes and regulations to citizens, property owners, realtors,consultants, developers, and the general public; this includes zoning changes, plats, site plans,variances, conditional use permits, rezones, annexations and all other planning and permitting processes.
• Directs and coordinates requests for assistance from other departments, government agencies, and private organizations.
• Directs and oversees the coordination of the department budget.
• Prepares various technical reports and recommendations regarding department matters to the Mayor and Council, Planning Board, City Administrator, and other government agencies and stakeholders.
• Acts as City representative on behalf of the Mayor and Council on local, state, and regional matters related to planning, land use, development, and related matters.
• Represents the City on technical issues for the Atlanta Regional Commission, Georgia Department of Community Affairs, Georgia Department of Transportation, and other planning agencies and related matters.
• Prepares grant applications and various alternate funding mechanisms in the area of planning, development, and zoning projects.
• Selects, supervises, and evaluates Department personnel; oversees employee relations and grievances and oversees supervisory training and staff development programs.
• Develops “non-traditional” technical and planning procedures and operations in pursuit • of efficient use of public funds.
• Reviews applications for zoning permits, site plans, subdivision plats, annexations, rezoning, variances, and other development plans, ensuring conformance with City regulations and provides comments and recommendations.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit by email a cover letter, resume, at least five job related
references and salary history no later than March 8, 2021 to: Lisa Ward, Senior Vice
President, The Mercer Group, Inc., at email@example.com. Any questions please call
706-983-9326. Interviews are expected to be conducted the first week of April 2021.