Planning and Zoning Director
City of Goose Creek
Salary: $68,270.11 to $109,232.18
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position is responsible for the management and supervision of the Planning Department.
– Manages the review and approval of all development activities within the City while ensuring that submitted plans meet all zoning ordinance requirements and development standards;
– Reviews parcel plats, site plans, subdivision plats, landscape plans, architectural plans and building elevations;
– Manages and supervises the activities and personnel of the Planning and Zoning Department;
– Performs duties involving instructing, assigning, reviewing and planning work of others; acting on employee problems; processing Worker’s Compensation information; recommending new hires, transfers, promotions, demotions and terminations; issuing corrective actions and completing employee performance appraisals;
– Serves as the point of contact for developers and their professionals and facilitates their projects through the City’s approval process.
– Conducts pre-application conferences with applicants and design professionals to review proposed projects and offer guidance regarding ordinances, standards, and City procedures;
– Administers, interprets and enforces the City’s zoning ordinance;
– Provides answers to inquiries from the public, the City’s commercial community, and project developers;
– Removes objects of zoning violations including signs, banners and other debris from public property and rights-of-way;
– Performs long-range planning functions related to the preparation and implementation of new and revised planning and zoning documents, zoning ordinances, guidelines, strategies and reports;
– Leads the Planning Commission in drafting, updating and presenting for adoption a Comprehensive Plan every five (5) years;
– Serves as Staff facilitator for the City’s Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board, and Zoning Board of Appeals, including the supervision of the preparation of agendas and meeting packets and staffing the monthly meetings;
– Manages and facilitates the annual training requirements for citizen commission and board members;
– Performs special demographic, economic, land use and zoning analyses studies or surveys as directed;
– Provides GIS assistance for Planning Department needs;
– Sends letter regarding zoning violations following research and site visit to confirm zoning violation; physically removes objects of zoning violations including signs, banners and other debris from public property and rights-of-way;
– Manages the addressing for all properties within the City and the E911 addressing process;
– Serves as the Flood Hazard Manager for the City;
– Conducts site inspections and works with field personnel to ensure projects under construction are being completed per approved plans and, upon project completion, approves the final certification of Occupancy; and
– Performs other duties as assigned.
– Master’s degree in planning or related field and four years of professional planning experience, preferred;
– Bachelor’s degree and six years of professional planning experience, preferred;
– A combination of education and experience totaling 10 years may be considered;
– Strong knowledge of South Carolina planning and land use regulations, required;
– A valid Driver’s License is required;
– AICP Certification is preferred.
Visit www.cityofgoosecreek.com/jobs to apply.