Opening Date: February 15, 2019
Closing Date: Monday, March 18, 2019 @ 4:00 p.m.
Position: Director of Planning
Salary Range: $91,696.34/annually (minimum) to $121,676.53/annually (maximum)
Job Description: Under general direction of the City Administrator, is responsible for planning and community development tasks including, but not limited to: Assisting in the development of the city’s comprehensive master plan; Managing the city’s comprehensive master plan; Developing and applying the use of municipal zoning ordinances and subdivision regulations; Serving as the primary planning advisor; Supervising the activities of departmental personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Operations (65%)
- Manages and applies the concepts and principles of the city’s comprehensive plan and other approved planning directives.
- Provides suggested revisions to the comprehensive plan or other planning documents and submits those to the City Administrator, City Council, Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment for review and consideration.
- Routinely update the city’s planning documents including the comprehensive plan, land-use plan, zoning plans and ordinances, transportation and housing plans. Coordinates as necessary with city staff, elected officials and community leaders to facilitate the city’s planning directives.
- Makes recommendations to a variety of groups on planning matters.
- Reviews development proposals for conformity with principles of good planning and land use practices, for compliance with approved development regulations, and applicable laws and/or Northport municipal codes or ordinances.
- Serves as the city’s primary planning staff member and advisor to the City Administrator, Mayor, Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, and Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Prepares department’s city council agenda business items.
- Directs the coordination and preparation of agendas, site plan reviews, case files, and related items for the Planning and Zoning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Prepares and manages the department’s annual budget.
- Attends all City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment meetings and other meetings as directed by the City Administrator.
B. Research (20%)
- Researches the availability of Federal and State Grants and other sources of State and Federal funds for which the City is eligible.
- Collects, organizes and maintains social, economic and census data for the use in planning studies and reports.
- Investigates and responds to inquiries regarding planning activities.
- Coordinates staff reviews of all proposed developments including commercial, industrial, retail, and subdivision developments to assure conformity with regulations, Northport municipal code, and the City of Northport’s comprehensive plan.
- Represents the city at community activities and events at public, social, and business gatherings as directed by the City Administrator.
- Addresses civic, business and service organizations on public service matters regarding planning as directed by the City Administrator.
- Develops departmental budget and submits the budget to the City Administrator.
- Prepares slides and video presentations related to planning, zoning and community development.
- Performs other duties assigned by the City Administrator.
- Bachelor’s degree in community planning, public administration or a related field required.
- Master’s degree in community planning, public administration or a related field preferred.
- Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or other planning certification is preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible experience, including supervisory experience, in municipal, county or local government planning is required.
- Must have a current driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to successfully manage and accomplish multiple tasks.
- Must be able to adjust to a constantly changing work environment.
Qualified applicants please click here.