Planner I / Planner II
Lowcountry Council of Governments
Hiring Range: $35,083 – $58,105 Annually
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Lowcountry Council of Governments is seeking a full-time PLANNER I or II (depending on level of experience). This position is under the supervision of the Planning Director and is a member of a small collaborative planning team. The position is responsible for assisting with and completing planning activities related to both the rural and urban areas in the Lowcountry.
General Job Description:
Duties include conducting regional community and transportation planning studies: conducting research and preparing statistical reports on land use, physical, social and economic issues, transportation, and planning and development practices; compiling, developing and collecting data into reports concerning proposed and/or needed projects; and preparing analyses and reports for implementation. The PLANNER will:
- Provide staffing assistance to the urban area Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Hilton Head Island/Beaufort area (Lowcountry Area Transportation Study or LATS).
- Manage the Transportation Improvement Program for both the rural and urban areas.
- Assist with the implementation of the Long Range Transportation Plan for both the urban and rural areas.
- Act as the lead on Bicycle and Pedestrian related planning activities.
- Assist with the development of comprehensive plans, zoning and other needs of the local governments within the Lowcountry.
- Other activities may include assisting with the hazard mitigation plan development, resilience planning, grant writing, transit planning, economic development, and socioeconomic analysis.
The ideal candidate should have strong GIS (preferred ESRI ArcGIS Pro), data analysis, written communication and presentation skills for this role. The candidate must be able to provide professional and timely work products to various audiences. The ideal candidate should be a motivated self-starter and comfortable in a small team setting. Training opportunities will be available.
Minimum Education and Training:
Bachelor’s Degree in Urban or Regional Planning or a related field required; supplemented by one-three years of experience in transportation or regional planning; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license. Salary range $35,083 to $58,105 depending on qualifications. Generous benefits package.