Opening Date: April 1, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position: Planner III
Duties and Responsibilities:Responsible for advanced level professional work in urban planning. Provides technical support and assistance to the Director in the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Plan and the City’s advanced and current planning programs with related research and analysis. Review and process land use and development applications and proposals, as well as variance cases. Prepare and present cases to city boards, commissions, and committees including but not limited to Metropolitan Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals. Supervise and manage the work of other planning staff and interns.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning or related field and a minimum of three (3) years of progressive related experience preferred. Appropriate combination of related education and work experience may be considered; or
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, urban design, landscape architecture, public administration, geography, community development, sustainability, or related field and a minimum of six (6) years of progressive related experience.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred, or the ability to acquire certification within one (1) year of employment.
- Some supervisory experience and knowledge of transportation planning and economic and community development preferred.
- Must possess or obtain within sixty (60) days of employment a valid SC driver license.
- Thorough knowledge of Federal and State laws, statutes and ordinances governing planning, zoning building and subdivision development.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of planning and development, zoning, urban design, and sustainability to include related local resources.
- Skills in various research techniques and designing/drawing plans, sections, elevations and perspectives.
- Skills in interpreting and explaining ordinances and specific criteria, to include legal descriptions of land.
- Skills in preparing and presenting written and oral reports and documents, to include operating various professional equipment.
- Skills in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint; Skills in using graphic design, desktop publishing, database, and/or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software programs preferred.
- Ability to research and collect data and perform accurate calculations, to perform sound, analytical analyses, and to make well-reasoned recommendations.
- Time and multi-project management; high level of customer service; collaborative and effective working relationships with others; and strong work ethics.
View Complete Job Description here.