Director of Development and Design Services
Morganton, North Carolina
Salary:$75,000 – $112,000
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The City of Morganton is a vibrant and energized city of 17,000 citizens located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with a track record of innovation, creativity, positive results, and a progressive mindset. The City is looking for a creative, motivated, individual to join the team as its Director of Development and Design Services.
The multi-faceted position is a key driver in the implementation of the city’s adopted Mission 2030 Economic and Land Development Plan and will play an integral role in the new comprehensive planning process to begin this year. The Director will lead a Department with a strong focus on customer service, helping citizens and developers navigate through regulations and codes while planning for the future. The ability to interpret and follow regulatory requirements paired with the willingness to explore development options to promote project implementation is essential to be successful – rather than stopping on what we can’t do, we keep moving on building partnerships and focusing on what can be done.
This position involves high-level professional planner responsibilities in the formation, installation, modification and improvement of the City and the ability to manage, coordinate and address complex issues related to land development and public infrastructure. This position organizes, directs, and reviews the community development and engineering activities including short-and long-range planning programs, code and building inspection, code enforcement, economic and community development programs, civil engineering and project management, surveying, and construction inspection. The Director provides administrative and technical supervision to staff. Duties also include consulting with a broad range of boards, committees, realtors, private developers, other City departments, and State agencies on development issues.
Successful candidate will possess:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communication (both oral and written) and presentation skills;
- Proven ability to recruit and partner with businesses and developers to foster economic development;
- Ability to interpret, relate and teach planning, zoning and building inspection policies to officials and the general public;
- Knowledge of laws and regulations in building inspections and local codes, zoning and land use, environmental matters, grants development, procurement, administration, and monitoring.
- Supervisory experience and a four-year college or university degree with a major in planning, geography, or related field and extensive experience in city, county or regional planning (Master’s degree in planning a plus) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position is responsible for administrative functions including budget preparation and administration; capital facilities planning and project administration; and hiring, training, leadership and performance management for a staff of 13 employees. Position reports directly to the City Manager and is part of the Management Team.
How to Apply:
Application review will begin on August 22, 2022. How to Apply – https://www.morgantonnc.gov/hr/page/director-development-design-services