Civic Design Center Director
City of Charleston
Salary: $65,153 – $81,000
We are looking for a Director to join the City of Charleston’s Civic Design Center! As part of the Department of Planning, Preservation & Sustainability leadership team, you will implement the mission, goal and objective of the Civic Design Center, a design studio established to elevate community dialogue on urban design issues, and you will supervise the center’s daily operations.
Examples of Duties
Responsible for the overall operation of the Civic Design Center, establishing and maintaining its role in creating and achieving a civic urban design vision.
- Facilitates ongoing community dialogue of key urban design issues and projects.
- Disseminates information and develops educational outreach programs.
- Formulates and implements the overall concept of the Civic Design Center as an urban design resource.
- Supervises staff engaged in the daily operations of the Civic Design Center.
- Establishes performance goals and supervises staff in the preparation and presentation of progress reports.
- Develops plans and design case studies to promote quality urban development within the Community and to serve as a resource for City staff, developers, design professionals and the public.
- Develops a collaborative relationship with City departments to ensure the implementation of goals.
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing with the Mayor, City Council, department directors, employees, the media and the public regarding design issues that are important to the organization and community.
- Organizes and leads charrettes, events, and exhibits.
- Delivers design concepts at a variety of scales and timeframes. Including but not limited to urban infill design, suburban retrofits, district master planning, parks and open space design, streetscape and bikeway design, and affordable housing capacity studies.
- Develops and manages annual budget.
- Assigns and directs staff members to conduct research, develop urban design standards and develop design concepts into presentations.
- Reviews, approves, and presents design plans to department head for approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to be visionary, creative, and analytical.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in planning, urban design, architecture, or related field and 6 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and spatial design software such as Sketchup, AutoCAD, Rhino, or similar programs.
- Familiarity with digital rendering software and ArcGIS.
- Knowledge of Project management tools and practices.
- Hand drawing skills.
Master’s Degree (MA/MS) in planning, urban design, architecture, or related field.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification or Architectural Registration.
May require evenings, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
- In the event of major storms or other emergency situations, this position may be subject to 24-hour shifts or any other emergency schedule that is necessary to meet the City’s needs.
Effective November 22, 2021, the COVID vaccine is a condition of employment for all City of Charleston employees except for approved medical exemptions. Click here to read the policy in its entirety.
Full link: https://charleston-sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30093/COVID-Vaccine-Policy