Augusta-Richmond County, GA
Closing Date: Until filled
The purpose of this classification is to ensure compliance with the zoning ordinance and development regulations for land
development plans for current planning. Performs complex analysis and makes staff recommendations regarding
subdivision, development, transit plans and other planning requests. This classification is distinguished from Planner in that
incumbents in this class handle the largest and most complex projects and have at least three years of experience as a
Planner with a government entity.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates both long-range and current planning actions related to compliance with the Consolidated Government’s land development codes and comprehensive plan goals, objectives, and policy: participates in various development review and pre-development meetings to provide information and guidance for community development goals, objectives and initiatives; and provides professional and technical assistance and consultation regarding planning issues with industry professionals and the public.
- Prepares a wide variety of materials, reports and documentation for public hearings, various meetings and board presentations: provides presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups and the general public on planning and growth management issues as directed.
- Evaluates and analyzes proposals and related data and information: evaluates land use, zoning and transportation planning proposals to ensure compliance with applicable laws, codes, ordinances, and related regulatory standards; evaluates environmental, statistical, impact and related information and data; identifies non-compliance and adverse impacts; and recommends mitigation measures.
- Performs various statistical research and comparative analyses: compiles, maintains and updates planning operational data; analyzes planning data; forecasts and identifies future planning, transportation, and growth management deficiencies, trends and problems; evaluates impacts to proposed planning objectives and application to areas of responsibility; assists in development of planning improvements, and modifying proposed objectives accordingly.
- Participates in preparation and administration of state and federal grants, inter-local agreements, land development regulations, and special studies as directed: gathers data; conducts research; and prepares and submits related applications, documentation and reports.
- Coordinates Geographic Information Systems (GIS) projects and activities: utilizes GIS to produce maps, designs and other graphics; identifies spacial and technical data and database structure and management needs to show impact of development projects; recommends standards procedures and specifications for GIS database management and related information; and determines map content, layout, and production specifications.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Regional Planning, or related field required, a Master’s Degree is preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years in the planning field to include one (1) year of experience as a Land Use Planner.
Licensing/Certification: Possession of a valid driver’s license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment.
Contact: Cecilia Woodruff, email@example.com