Assistant Administrator of Community Services – Dorchester County Government
Salary: $92,304.06 – 119,995.44
The purpose of this class is to assist the County Administrator in implementing County community services policies as established by the County Council; to promote community development, quality of life and the welfare of county residents, businesses, and visitors; to develop recommendations for County programs; to provide coordinated leadership of the Community Services Departments (Neighborhood Services, Building Services, Planning & Zoning and Parks & Recreation); and to prepare administrative and fiscal reports as required. This class works within a general outline of work to be performed; develops work methods and sequences under minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Serves as the Assistant Administrator of Community Services; provides direct assistance to the County Administrator and County Council in planning and zoning, building services, and code enforcement matters, including animal control, environmental enforcement, mosquito control, parks and
recreation and coordinates special projects.
• Assists the County Administrator in implementing Council approved and administrative policies related to community services to promote the quality of life and welfare of County residents, businesses and visitors.
• Assists the County Administrator in daily administration by directing Community Services Departments Neighborhood Services (including Environmental Enforcement, Animal Control, and Mosquito Control), Planning and Zoning, Building Services, and Parks and Recreation to ensure effective coordination.
• Supervises assigned staff. Supervisory duties include instructing; assigning, reviewing and planning work of others; maintaining standards; coordinating activities; selecting new employees; acting on employee problems; recommending and approving employee discipline; and recommending discharge
• Assists in the development, preparation and presentation of operating and capital budgets for departments assigned for Council approval; approves purchase requisitions.
• Prepares or directs the preparation of a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision making purposes; prepares periodic and special reports on performance as required by the County and other agencies.
• Reviews the work of subordinates for completeness and accuracy; evaluates and makes recommendations as appropriate; and offers advice and assistance as needed.
• Serves as interim department head as necessary.
• Ensures vector control and environmental enforcement programs are effective.
• Develops recommendations for new programs, administrative policy modifications and ordinances for presentation to the County Administrator.
• Attends and assists with all Council and Committee meetings; confers with County Council and other departments as needed on matters of local government.
• Attends staff, intergovernmental and community meetings as required.
• Receives and responds to Council, elected officials and citizen requests for information regarding County planning,zoning, buildings, code enforcement and other community focused matters; presents information and issues to external groups as required.
• Assists County Administrator in planning and implementing special projects and programs.
• Attends workshops, training, conferences and seminars to enhance job knowledge and skills.
• Works before, during or after an emergency event and serves the public in coping with that emergency.
• Performs emergency operations duties as assigned; works as a section chief if required.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, management, city/urban/regional planning or a related field; Master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Requires at least four (4) years of public sector managerial and budget experience supplemented by four years of local government management; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
International County/City Management Association (ICMA) Credentialed Manager Preferred.
Interested candidates should apply at www.dorchestercountysc.gov