Opening Date: May 9, 2019
Closing Date: Until Filled
Job Description: Under limited supervision, is responsible for the administration, management, supervision, and care of trees and other natural resources for the Town of Summerville. Functional areas include: Tree maintenance and planting, urban forestry policies and procedures, tree protection and preservation, public information and education, management of trees in forested parks and Town property, working closely with the Building and Inspections Department and Engineering Department in coordinating application approval for permits and working with engineers, architects, and other land design professionals, and response to emergencies (e.g. storm damage) which is sometimes “after hours”, in coordination with the Parks and Recreation Department and Street Department. Work is performed both in the office and in the field: on street rights-of-way, in parks, around Town facilities and land holdings and on private property. Reports to the Director of Planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the administration of the tree protection and landscaping ordinances and ensures decisions on policies do not conflict with other local, State, and Federal laws for the public.
- Develops, maintains, and administers relevant tree protection and landscaping ordinances and policies.
- Reviews applications for development, subdivisions, public projects, and other projects; reviews submitted materials and site plans for impact to natural resources, especially trees; meets with developers to discuss/design site revisions; reviews submitted plans, makes written comments, and attends pre-application meetings with developers and staff; performs pre-clearing inspections to ensure site design is implemented; performs final site and landscaping inspections to ensure all approval conditions are met; reviews and makes comments on submitted site and landscape plans for Commercial Design Review Board.
- Operates a vehicle and a variety of office equipment and machinery such as copy machine, fax machine, scanner, cell phone, calculator, digital voice recorder, computer, printer, telephone, etc.
- Uses a variety of tools such as engineer / architect scale, caliper tape measure, Trimble GPS, stapler, scissors, paper cutter, staple remover, standard office tools, etc.; a variety of supplies such as paper, writing instruments, file folders, general office supplies, etc.; and a variety of computer software such as Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Adobe Reader, ArcGIS, Beehive, Digital Voice Editor, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as Director of Planning, other department heads and staff, developers, design professionals, attorneys, boards, commissions, committees, Town Council, and the general public.
- Perform other duties as required.
Desirable Training and Experience: Requires a Bachelor degree in Forestry, Urban Forestry, Arboriculture, Biology, Natural Resources or other related field, plus four (4) years of forestry or natural resource management experience. Must be a Certified Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture, and Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) is preferred. Must have a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
View Complete Job Announcement and apply here.